Space Heaters and Winter
Now that our chaotic winter season in the Midwest is starting to fester, it’s time to protect your home and business from fires. Yes, wintry conditions lead to frozen pipes, and everyone knows that there can always be a fair amount of water damage, but people also forget that with using more electricity, there is a higher risk for an electric fire.
Think about what you plug into your home in the winter. Phone chargers, computers, Christmas/seasonal lights, heated blankets/throws, humidifiers, and space heaters. Do you use many power strips? Do your plugs start to feel warm to the touch?
Be aware of what you are plugging in, and where you are plugging it in. A main culprit of winter fires are space heaters. Space heaters should not be plugged into a power strip, especially if there are other things utilizing it as well.
I love my space heater as much as the next person who wishes it to be warm, but I never leave it alone. Space heaters can be very fluctuating with their heat output. So constantly monitor it, and never leave the home with one on.
Make sure your space heater is a fair distance between it and anything else in the room. Especially any type of cloth or easily flammable material.
Do not place it on a plush carpeted floor. If it happens to be knocked over it could start a fire quickly, or even start to melt the synthetic fibers in the carpet.
Keep it away from pets and children. There’s a higher chance of it being knocked over, or burning a curious kitty, or toddler.
If the plug starts to feel uncomfortably warm, unplug it! There could be a short, and one quick spark can be all it takes for a fire to start.
Make sure the heater is clean of debris, dirt, dust, or dander. Any of those can be the kindling to your next insurance claim.
Be safe this winter, but just in case something does happen, give us a call at SERVPRO of Rockford, and we can make it “Like it never even happened.”