Almost everyone says how dangerous a space heater is, but most people still use them. (Yes, even some of us here at SERVPRO of Rockford are guilty of it.)
Especially with these frigid Midwest winters, where temperatures can easily get below zero, you can resist the urge to dust it off and turn it on.
Here is a checklist of what to keep an eye out for:
- Inspect the heater for any flaws. You know this thing has been sitting in your basement for a year, and it's probably not a good idea to just plug it in, turn it on, and expect it to work perfectly.
- Carefully inspect the cord. Look for any tears in it, or any parts of the wire showing.
- Stay in the same room with it. When you first plug it in check the cord after a few minutes to see if it starts to get hot to the touch. You don't want it to start a fire in the outlet. It might emit a burning smell at first, but that could be a build up of dust from it not being used for months.
- Never leave it unattended. I know this one is a "no-brain-er" but it happens. Again, don't leave it unattended. (I needed to repeat this for emphasis.)
- Keep it in an open area. Don't put it near furniture, drapes, or flammable objects.
- Make sure it is out of reach for pets and children.
We want you to have a safe winter season in your homes and not have to deal with the stress of your house being damaged by fire.
If you have any questions or want to know more about fires you can call us anytime!