Vacation Proof Your Home!
It's almost summertime! Everyone is thinking of getting away while the kids are out of school, or traveling in this wonderful weather.
What ruins a vacation? Coming home to a disaster in your house! Maybe a pipe had burst, a storm had flooded your basement, or a fire had started while you were gone. Suddenly it seems your relaxing time away has just disappeared.
Here are a few tips to make sure that you have an enjoyable time ALL summer.
- Have a TRUSTED friend or family member either stay, or check your home while you are gone. You want to make sure you have someone that you know will take care of your home.
- If you don't have someone staying there, turn your water off! You won't be needing it.
- Double check that your furnace is running well. If your AC seems to be lacking in the heat, you might want to have someone check it out before you leave it to the smoldering hot summers here in the Midwest.
- Do a walk around your home and make sure your spigots are working! You don't want to leave them on, and you don't want them to leak.
- Check your stove! Make sure that all your appliances are working properly, and that your stove isn't left on.
- Unplug what you don't need. You might want to check and unplug the power strip to your entertainment center. Most people put it behind their TV's with different electronics plugged in, and then forget about them. If you have a power surge during a storm, that may cause a fire.
- If your basement is prone to flooding make sure that anything important is off the ground or in plastic tubs. A storm could hit anytime during the summer and you want to make sure your possessions are safe.
- Lastly, double or even triple check your home. There is no harm in being over-prepared for anything.
If you do come home to a disaster give us a call at SERVPRO of Rockford and we will ease your mind by making it "Like it never even happened."