Recent Fire Damage Posts

Space Heaters

1/23/2019 (Permalink)

Almost everyone says how dangerous a space heater is, but most people still use them. (Yes, even some of us here at SERVPRO of Rockford are guilty of it.) 

Especially with these frigid Midwest winters, where temperatures can easily get below zero, you can resist the urge to dust it off and turn it on. 

Here is a checklist of what to keep an eye out for:

  • Inspect the heater for any flaws. You know this thing has been sitting in your basement for a year, and it's probably not a good idea to just plug it in, turn it on, and expect it to work perfectly.
  • Carefully inspect the cord. Look for any tears in it, or any parts of the wire showing. 
  • Stay in the same room with it. When you first plug it in check the cord after a few minutes to see if it starts to get hot to the touch. You don't want it to start a fire in the outlet. It might emit a burning smell at first, but that could be a build up of dust from it not being used for months.
  • Never leave it unattended. I know this one is a "no-brain-er" but it happens. Again, don't leave it unattended. (I needed to repeat this for emphasis.)
  • Keep it in an open area. Don't put it near furniture, drapes, or flammable objects.
  • Make sure it is out of reach for pets and children. 

We want you to have a safe winter season in your homes and not have to deal with the stress of your house being damaged by fire. 

If you have any questions or want to know more about fires you can call us anytime! 

Romantic Candle Fires

2/8/2018 (Permalink)

It's February! Valentine's Day is coming up, and I know people either hate it, or love it!

There are multiple ways to woo your significant other, and one of those tends to be a romantic candlelit dinner.

Candles can smell nice, add a delicate glow for mood lighting, or can just be fun to decorate with. They can also be harmful to your home if you are not careful.

If you are someone who uses a candle daily, take a look at your walls or ceiling. Overuse of candles can cause smoke damage that darkens the areas near them. Usually, you will notice a dark circular spot on the ceiling, or a dark line up your wall.

Try to place candles away from the wall if you tend to use them more often. Make sure that any flammable material is nowhere near the flame, especially curtains or fabric. NEVER fall asleep with a candle lit. Our own office admin had a small house fire growing up when a family member had fallen asleep with a candle lit. The candle was also placed too close to the wall, so flames were able to reach up and stretch out over the room.

If you still decide to incorporate candles in your Valentine's festivities, just make it a point to extinguish them. Just remember, if your Valentine's Day doesn't go quite the way you expect, SERVPRO of Rockford can assist you in any fire disaster. Unfortunately, we can't make rejection "Like it never even happened."

Space Heaters and Winter

1/11/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Space Heaters and Winter Fire in Commercial Building

Now that our chaotic winter season in the Midwest is starting to fester, it’s time to protect your home and business from fires. Yes, wintry conditions lead to frozen pipes, and everyone knows that there can always be a fair amount of water damage, but people also forget that with using more electricity, there is a higher risk for an electric fire.

Think about what you plug into your home in the winter. Phone chargers, computers, Christmas/seasonal lights, heated blankets/throws, humidifiers, and space heaters. Do you use many power strips? Do your plugs start to feel warm to the touch?

Be aware of what you are plugging in, and where you are plugging it in. A main culprit of winter fires are space heaters. Space heaters should not be plugged into a power strip, especially if there are other things utilizing it as well.

I love my space heater as much as the next person who wishes it to be warm, but I never leave it alone. Space heaters can be very fluctuating with their heat output. So constantly monitor it, and never leave the home with one on.

Make sure your space heater is a fair distance between it and anything else in the room. Especially any type of cloth or easily flammable material.

Do not place it on a plush carpeted floor. If it happens to be knocked over it could start a fire quickly, or even start to melt the synthetic fibers in the carpet.

Keep it away from pets and children. There’s a higher chance of it being knocked over, or burning a curious kitty, or toddler.

If the plug starts to feel uncomfortably warm, unplug it! There could be a short, and one quick spark can be all it takes for a fire to start.

Make sure the heater is clean of debris, dirt, dust, or dander. Any of those can be the kindling to your next insurance claim.

Be safe this winter, but just in case something does happen, give us a call at SERVPRO of Rockford, and we can make it “Like it never even happened.”

-Angi

Accidental Fires this Halloween

10/25/2016 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Accidental Fires this Halloween Carved Dragon Pumpkin by Angi

Halloween is almost upon us! It is the time of year where families will get together and start the fun and spooky decorations of their home. 

Candles play a huge part in most decorations. They are placed in windows, in pumpkins, and outside. Although I do admit that the fun flickering of the light is enjoyable, it can also be hazardous to the home and anyone inside. 

Please be cautious when using candles. Most people tend to set out their jack-o-lantern with a tea light lit, and then forget about it. Or they decided to just let the candle go out itself. With little ones running about and getting excited about the candy, there is always a chance that an accident could happen. They could knock over a candle or pumpkin, or even worse, their outfit may even catch on fire itself. 

So please be safe this year and monitor your jack-o-lanterns and the little ones who are enjoying the festivities! Otherwise you may end up with SERVPRO employees as your next Trick-or-Treaters! 

 

 

Rockford Smoke and Soot Clean Up

6/13/2016 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Rockford Smoke and Soot Clean Up Fire, Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Home.

Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.  

Smoke and soot facts:

  • Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
  • Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
  • The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.

Different Types of Smoke

There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Rockford will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:

Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber

  • Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.

Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood

  • Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.

Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire

  • Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor. 

Our Fire Damage Restoration Services

Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions.  We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage.  We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.

Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 815-964-0599